Wednesday, 22 June 2011

Thing 2

I think it's safe to say that Thing 2 will probably be one of the most challenging 'Things' for me.  I'm definitely more of a passive web user; I have Twitter and Facebook accounts but I tend to be a bit more of a voyeur than an active participant.  I do think that's something I need to get over - I really think that libraries should be using social media and web 2.0 tools more and I'm even writing my Master's dissertation on this topic, so I'm just going to have to bite the bullet on this one and join in.  (As a side note, it is unbelievable how much I uhmed and ahhed over putting my photo on this blog before eventually deciding that no one else cares)!
After a bit of random link clicking and reading some fairly interesting yet completely irrelevant blogs I did manage to leave some comments.  If anyone's actually reading this, I'd recommend taking a look at Naomi's Noesis which promises to be a good read throughout the programme.

4 comments:

  1. You know, I was just like you in the beginning of my social-web-life. Reading and "consuming", but not actively participating. And this should not be surprising: I was just behaving in the web in the same way I used to with print materials. Slowly I learned how to be more active, and I can tell here two sides of my experience:
    1) having a blog of your own shows how important is interaction. A blog is not just a wallpaper, but it's meant for conversation and interaction. Comments *must* be welcome (even if moderated) and should be always replied. And also tracbkacs are crucial: blogs survive through the connection among each other, so it's important to link, and to acknowledge links. So: links, links and links!
    2) I was reluctant in posting comments to other blogs, in the beginnings, because sometimes I just felt that I was reacting, instead of participating. But a comment should carry its own responsibility: if you step in, you should follow the whole thread, and stand your ground. I was just yelling without caring what others had to say. So I slowly learned how to choose the right time and place to comment, and I learned how to deal with the language in a healthy and useful way. For me, it was not something which came in just one day.
    Carry on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Enrico,
    Thanks for your comment, it's good to know that other people have had the same issues when it comes to commenting and participating with other people's blogs. Hopefully, with a bit of practise I'll learn how to be a useful (and hopefully interesting) participant.
    Also - thanks for pointing out that comments should be replied to, that's just not something I had really thought about, but you're absolutely right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    Just wanted to say that your blog post sounded just like me! I'm interested in social media and web 2.0 tools in the Library too and am definitely working hard to get over the fear of posting my thoughts for the world to see on Blogger! Although, unlike you, I have yet to find the courage to post up a profile picture!! I'm sure I'll spend an insane amount of time debating it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, I'm so glad it's not just me. I think this is a great way to get started though - when everyone is posting about the same sort of things the whole experience seems somehow less cringeworthy.
      And you know what, although I hate my profile picture, it is strangely liberating taking the plunge and getting it up there!

      Delete