Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Thoroughly lazy

I have been very very lazy.. supremely lazy in fact. It has been several weeks since I've updated this so I'm going to have to do Things 3, 4 and 5 all in one sitting, although I'll split it into three separate posts. This one will cover Thing 3: Consider your personal brand.

I thought the personal branding post raised some interesting points and it really made me think about the image I'm putting out there. To be honest, I think I've got everything a bit confused. I already had a Twitter account when I set up this blog, and so I use a different name for both. For some reason (and I now regret this) I used my real name on Twitter. It's not that I don't want people to find me, and I think it's important that my real name is available to anyone who wants to find it, but I also like the degree of anonymity you get by having some sort of pseudonym. I think it gives me more confidence to write what I really think. Bearing all that in mind, I really like the [Techno Librarian] name I've given this blog and I think it's quite appropriate to my feelings about being a librarian so I will probably set up another Twitter account and abandon the previous (and admittedly rarely used) personality.

In terms of continuity across all my online profiles/blogs etc, I think that design is something I will need to look into. I like the idea of having a particular theme, image or colour that is signifies that this is my page, but right now, I'm just not sure what that should be. None of the available templates really seem quite right for me and I think I'd like to take a bit more time to have a play around and make something that I'm happy to apply to everything. One thing I do want to change now though is the picture on this page. I originally chose it because I wanted an image of myself to identify that this is my page, but I also wanted it to be slightly obscured... again going back to that idea of being recognisable to those that look but still having a degree of anonymity. Hopefully I can find something within the next few days.

Activity: Searching for my name on Google was pretty much a complete flop! I came up with my Facebook account and adding the terms 'librarian' and 'Oxford' threw up my Twitter account but this blog remains thoroughly buried. I've submitted the URL to Google and Yahoo along with a few appropriate keywords so I'll try this again in a month or so to see if it's made any difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment