Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Thing 7: Real Life Networking

This is - to be honest - not something I enjoy. At all. Add this to the fact that it is virtually impossible to find the time to attend any event and I think it's fair to say I'm not exactly a networking regular. I am a member of my local CILIP branch, but their regular meetings are in Reading and on my late night at work which is a bit tricky. I did however manage to attend their recent Chartership event in Oxford which was quite useful in finding out a bit more about the chartership process. On the other hand I can't say I really embraced it as a networking opportunity. I went with a few of my colleagues and we all came away feeling like we were more than a bit out of place as public librarians in what was clearly the domain of academic librarians. In hindsight I could have tried a bit harder to find commonalities with other attendees and try to speak to people a bit more. At the time though, I felt safer huddled in a corner with people I already knew! I think the info about networking for introverts on the CPD23 post could help with this. I'll make sure to read "Networking for people who hate networking" before I go to my next event!

No comments:

Post a Comment