Monday, 9 July 2012

Thing 9: Evernote

Now this I like! Evernote does exactly what I want it to and does so with minimum fuss. I have a very annoying habit of stumbling accross things on the web that I want to come back to later but then immediately forget all about them. (I'm sure I'm not the only one)! I've tried a few solutions - Pinterest, social bookmarking (Delicious) and even simply keeping a kind of diary of URLs and links but none of these were quite right. What I particularly love about Evernote is that it is a kind of amalgamation of the best bits of all those options. So I can save URLs and annotate them to remind myself why I might like to look at it again and I can also just highlight bits of webpages and save them as images. This way, if the link dies or the page disappears I can still look back at it. Genious. The only problem I did come accross was that I don't have sufficient admin priviledges on any of the work PCs to download the full software. This is a bit annoying, but the Web Clipper seems to work well enough and I can use it at home, so this isn't a major issue. All in all, I think I'll use Evernote quite a bit, but I have to admit that I'm probably more iterested in how it will be useful to me personally rather than professionally. It would be interesting to know if there are any libraries/librarians out there using it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment