Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Thing 13: Google Docs, Wikis and Dropbox

This one was fun :) I've already used Dropbox and Wikis before - wikis and their potential uses in libraries got quite a write-up in my dissertation - so I decided to concentrate on Google Docs for this post. I can definitely see potential uses in the work place: as a team we often have to pick up enquiries not quite finished by the last person working on it and we often collaborate on projects. Currently we rely on saving drafts of emails in mailboxes we all have access to or leaving documents in the shared drive but this is very limited. For a start we have to be logged in to a PC under our own username (which takes about 15 minutes for the ancient things to load) and as we are often running about the building using PCs on public desks it really isn't possible a lot of the time to access this information. It would be fantastic to be able to use something which is in the cloud and so accessible from anywhere and which can be edited by anyone. I'm hopeful that we might make use of this, or if not a similar tool sometime in the future, but for now I had to make do with playing with it - sharing documents with my partner and each of us editing in turn. Under the guise of CPD, it made my work day quite enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment