Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Thing 19: Catch up week on integrating 'things'

So far, this programme has introduced me to many new things and made me try out a whole load of things I knew existed but just hadn't quite got round to playing with yet. So which has been the most useful?? There are a couple that come to mind, but the I think the thing that has had the most impact is definitely Thing 15: Attending, presenting at and organising seminars, conferences and other events. After reading this post I dragged myself to a CILIP Thames Valley event (having previously had a bad experience)and actually enjoyed myself. Granted it was Phil Bradley talking about social media which I was probably guaranteed to enjoy but still, it broke down a few barriers in my mind. The evening not only encouraged me to try and get out there a bit more, but it also in a very practical way introduced me to some new tools just like CPD23. The best of these has to be Zite which I have now use daily. It's a brilliant app/website that creates a personalised magazine for me that is constantly updated. You tell it what your interests are and it searches the web for articles and collects them all in one place for me. I find it is particularly helpful for keeping up to date with things going on in the library world as I can see so the headlines of so many articles from all over the place and pick out the ones that interest me most. Because the articles come from so many sources I am continually discovering things that I would never have otherwise found. And because I can give stuff a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' the content is gradually becoming more and more readable. So there we have it.. the most useful thing that has so far come out of CPD23 is Zite, so thanks to Phil Bradley, and thanks to Jo who wrote the post on Thing 15.

No comments:

Post a Comment