Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Thing 22: Volunteering to gain experience

Q: 'Have you considered working for free to gain experience?'
A: Yes. In fact this is still something I'd really like to do but unfortunately time constraints make this nearly impossible.
I see volunteering (in the right role) as a great opportunity to gain skills and get experience in sectors where I would be unlikely to get a paid job due to lack of experience. I am particularly attracted to the idea of project work and getting to create something tangible.
I have been keeping an eye out for a volunteering opportunity for some time now, as I know that in my current job (as is the case with every job)there will always be certain skills I won't have as much chance to develop as others. The only problem is that I work full time, and do an additional 2 hours a week paid work at another library. Add to that the fact that the days I work in my full time job are on a 2 week timetable, and so I don't have the same days off each week and it becomes virtually impossible to fit anything in!
For now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that I'll manage to find something.

No comments:

Post a Comment